Sit NEBOSH General Certificate Exams as Soon After the Course as Possible
The NEBOSH General Certificate is a Sizeable Qualification
After reading through the content of a NEBOSH General Certificate course it becomes clear that there is an enormous amount of information taught and knowledge imparted by the course tutor. All of this learning needs to be absorbed and retained by the individual so that they can call upon it when it comes to the exams and assessments.
Giving the Course the Respect it Demands
A number of people fail to achieve the NEBOSH General Certificate qualification because they do not afford it the respect it deserves, insofar as accepting that there is a lot of detail to be learnt. All too often certain candidates, particularly those who have already worked in a health and safety role for a period of time, turn up to the course with the attitude that any questions asked will simply be a matter of common sense and that they will be able to answer everything based on their experiences in the workplace.
The reality of the NEBOSH General Certificate, as it is for other qualifications and indeed health and safety in general, is that it is not just about common sense alone. Obviously there is always a large element of common sense which needs to be applied in any workplace or situation to avoid certain risks, but there is so much more to staying safe than common sense alone.
As far as the NEBOSH General is concerned, the course syllabus contains detailed information on such topics as relevant legislation, correct procedures for issues like accident reporting and investigation, safe exposure limits for hazardous substances, minimum distances for operating vehicles near electricity cables etc. This information is not simple common sense; it is specific detail which needs to be learnt.
Anyone who fails to approach the course in the right frame of mind and commit themselves to the fact that they will need to properly study and learn such detailed information will struggle to achieve the qualification. This is especially true of the NGC1 unit which focuses on health and safety law and legislation. This information cannot be guessed; it needs to be taught, understood and remembered.
The Need for Exams Soon After the Course Finishes
The very fact that there is so much detailed information which needs to be learnt is the same reason why the exams for the NEBOSH General Certificate need to be taken as soon after the course as possible. The more time that elapses between learning the information and recalling it in the exam, the greater the likelihood that it will have been forgotten during that time. This results in lost marks, too many of which can culminate in a fail and the need to re-take a unit at a later date, which causes even more time to elapse and more information to be forgotten.
Some candidates will intentionally try and spread out the taking of NEBOSH General exams. Whilst this may give them more time to devote to the study and revision for each unit, it is normally more than offset by the knowledge forgotten from the course itself, leading to a poor exam performance.
The Disadvantage of Waiting for a NEBOSH Standard Exam Sitting
Smaller training companies attempt to keep costs and NEBOSH General Certificate course prices low by linking into the NEBOSH standard exam sittings. These are exam sittings which are held by NEBOSH every quarter during the year. Whilst it may keep course prices low, it can mean a wait of up to three months between the end of the course and taking the exam. This also assumes that a candidate can attend the exams scheduled for that specific date. If not, it will mean another three month wait before the next sitting comes around. With so much happening in a person's work and personal life in that three months, a lot of information can be forgotten.
Larger health and safety training providers such as ourselves pay NEBOSH to be able to schedule exam sittings at our own premises when we choose. Our courses finish on a Friday and exams are scheduled for the Monday, which enables delegates to go into the exams with the information taught during the course fresh in their minds. Consequently, pass rates tend to be far higher, saving both time and money for delegates in not having to take exam re-sits.
The NEBOSH General Certificate qualification does take a lot of effort and dedication to achieve but it is worth it for those who successfully achieve it. Not only does it provide a great deal of information which a person can use to prevent harm from coming to themselves and to their colleagues, but it can also improve future job prospects as well as providing a solid platform for progression onto further health and safety qualifications like the prestigious NEBOSH Diploma for instance.
It is hard enough to achieve a NEBOSH General Certificate qualification without making life even more difficult for yourself by leaving a large amount of time between the exams and the course. Sitting the exams as soon as possible will give you the best possible chance of recalling information to answer the questions set.
NEBOSH General Certificate Pages
- Why are NEBOSH General Certificate Pass Rates Better by Not Linking to Standard Exam Sittings?
- NEBOSH General Certificate Courses Provide a Strong Health and Safety Foundation
- The NEBOSH General Certificate Highlights Responsibilities
- In-House NEBOSH General Certificate Training
- NEBOSH General Certificate a Lot to Learn But Worth It
- NEBOSH General Certificate Health and Safety Courses
- What will NEBOSH General Certificate Training Give Me?
- The Danger of Spending Money on a NEBOSH General Certificate Online Course
- The NEBOSH General Certificate and Machinery Hazards
- Management Responsibilities for Health and Safety
- Organisation and Health and Safety
- How Does The NEBOSH General Certificate Help Managers Comply With Legislation?
- NEBOSH General Certificate and Safety Controls
- The Dangers of Overconfidence in a NEBOSH General Certificate Exam
- Routine Violations
- Management and Health & Safety
- Health and Safety Consultations
- NEBOSH General Certificate Physical and Psychological Health Hazards
- Organising Health and Safety on NEBOSH General Certificate Courses
- Obtaining Competent Health and Safety People
- NEBOSH General Certificate Planning
- NEBOSH General Certificate Before NEBOSH Diploma?
- The Safe Movement of People on NEBOSH General Certificate Courses
- NEBOSH General Certificate Work Equipment
- NEBOSH General Certificate and Manual Handling
- How NEBOSH General Certificate Courses and Manual Handling Training are Related
- The NEBOSH General Certificate and Conversion Courses
- NEBOSH National General Certificate Courses in Nottingham
- NEBOSH General or Environmental Certificate for Environmental Issues?
- Why is the NEBOSH General Certificate Such a Popular Course?
- Studying for the NEBOSH General Certificate Assessment
- NEBOSH General Certificate and Human Reasons for Accidents
- The NEBOSH General Certificate for Managers
- NEBOSH General Certificate or the Fire Certificate for Fire Training?
- COSHH Training or NEBOSH General Certificate?
- NEBOSH General Certificate or Construction Certificate?
- NEBOSH Environmental Certificate or NEBOSH General Certificate?
- No Environmental Conversion after a NEBOSH General Certificate Course?
- Why Does the NEBOSH General Certificate Syllabus Cover Electricity?
- NEBOSH General Certificate No Substitute for Electrical Training
- Why is a NEBOSH General Certificate Advisable Before a NEBOSH Diploma?
- NEBOSH General Certificate & Health and Safety NVQs
- Why is Working at Height Covered on a NEBOSH General Certificate Course?
- Asbestos and the NEBOSH National General Certificate
- Keeping Delegates Interested on NEBOSH General Certificate Courses
- Psychological Health Hazards and the NEBOSH National General Certificate
- Waste Management and the NEBOSH General Certificate
- How to Enrol on a NEBOSH General Certificate Course
- The NEBOSH General Certificate Helps You Identify Risky Behaviour
- Why is Self-Study Important on NEBOSH General Certificate Courses?
- The NEBOSH General Certificate and Moral Health and Safety Responsibilities
- The NEBOSH General Certificate for a Health and Safety Overview
- The Benefits of a NEBOSH General Certificate Course Tutor